Sunday, March 8, 2015

Guest Speakers, Our Town, & What I See Every Day

Guest Speakers
We have been so fortunate to have some amazing guest speakers. This past week we had a visit from a Superior Township Police Officer, a Ypsilanti District Library Librarian, and an Eastern Michigan University Instructor. Your students were very engaged as they learned about Ypsilanti's history, rules, laws, safety measures and college papers. They also learned what it takes in terms of college education, and training to be each one of these professionals one day. Please take some time to ask your child about the visitors. Please note: Even though our unit on community careers is ending, you can always come in and talk about what it is you do each and every day. I promise, no career is too intense or uninteresting to 2nd graders!


Our Town
Our town was completed this week. Your child researched a career then made a business or home for that career/business. It turned out really well.

What I See Every Day
As we were packing up on Friday, I noticed a friend tying another child's shoe. I paused and quickly grabbed my camera. Although our days are very BUSY I do pause now and again for "the good stuff." I feel fortunate to see this type of kindness each and every day from our amazing children. Whether it is a quick smile to one another, a shared pencil, a helping hand opening lunch containers, volunteers to help kindergarten lunch, or carrying another backpack, I see it. This happens not because the child might get a scholar dollar, it happens because you have supported this type of kindness at home and in our community. Thank you for sharing them with me. I cannot wait to share their classroom success at conferences next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment