Saturday, February 8, 2014

Math Workshop, The Chocolate Touch & Frindle

Math Workshop
We have been working on fractions this week.  Many of our students have a solid foundation, so we are building on that understanding by working with manipulatives. To extend our learning, we compared and reduced fractions using geo-boards. Check out how we used evidence and reasoning to support our fraction claims.  

The Chocolate Touch
We took an opportunity on Friday to celebrate our class's completion of The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling. We celebrated by turning the classroom into a reading cafe complete with donuts (thanks to Saahil's family) and hot chocolate.  We also took some quality time talking about the book. One of the joys of reading, is sharing our thoughts and reactions.  It was a fun event and thankfully, no one turned into chocolate!

Frindle
We also finished a class read-aloud of one of my favorite books, Frindle by Andrew Clement. Just for fun, we took a class picture of ourselves holding frindles just like they did in the book. If you're not sure what a frindle is, ask your 2nd grader. 
Do you remember a favorite childhood book? Tell us about it in the blog comments. I'll share your comments with the class.  Who knows, it might be our next read aloud.

1 comment:

  1. I remember two favorite books. The first is Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, which is a story about a donkey who accidentally makes a wish and turns into a boulder. He misses his family and his family misses him. I won't spoil the ending. I read this book with my mother on just about every trip to the dentist's office when I was eight or nine years old.

    The other book is Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I read it twice--once with my uncle and brother and again with my fifth grade class. We wrote fan letters to the author and received personalized photos with his autograph in return. I won't say too much about the novel in case you want to read it yourself some day.

    ReplyDelete